HOW TO SEND ENCRYPTED EMAIL
Encrypt your emails if you want to protect their privacy. When you encrypt an email message, it will be converted from plain text into scrambled ciphertext. When the private key of the recipient matches the encryption key, the recipient can decipher it for reading. In case you send an encrypted email to someone who doesn’t have the appropriate private key, that email will appear as indecipherable text. If you want to know the procedure of sending encrypted emails, read this article completely. Here, we have given you the steps to know how to send encrypted email.
S/MIME AND MICROSOFT 365 MESSAGE ENCRYPTION
In Outlook, you have two options of encryption: S/MIME Encryption and Microsoft 365 Message Encryption. S/MIME encryption requires the email application of the sender and recipient to support the S/MIME standard. For the Microsoft 365 Message Encryption, the sender should use 365 message encryption. You can choose your encryption type according to your preferences.
- Open your Outlook application and click on the File menu.
- Choose Options> Trust Center> Trust Center Settings.
- In the left pane, click Email Security.
- Under the Encrypted email section, choose the Settings option.
- In the Certificates and Algorithms section, click Choose and select S/MIME certificate > OK.
Microsoft 365 Message Encryption
- As previously mentioned, to encrypt your emails with Microsoft 365 encryption, the sender should be using the Microsoft 365 application.
- To proceed further, open Microsoft 365 and choose Options > Encrypt.
- For adding a few more restrictions, choose the Encrypt-Only or Do Not Forward option.
Encrypt a single message
- If you prefer to send a single email, compose it and click File followed by Properties.
- Click on the Security Settings option and check the box next to Encrypt message contents and attachments.
- Now, enter the recipient’s email address in the respective field and click Send.
Encrypt all emails
- If you prefer to encrypt all the outgoing emails by default, click on the File tab and select Options.
- Choose Trust Center followed by Trust Center Settings.
- Go to the Email Security tab and choose the Encrypt contents and attachments for outgoing messages checkbox under the Encrypted email section.
- From now on, all the emails you send will be encrypted by default.
This is how to send encrypted email. If you have any other queries, get back to us for expert assistance.