How to Know If Your Gmail Has Been Hacked?
Email privacy has become a main concern on a day-to-day basis. Gmail is one of the most widely used email services worldwide. Gmail has become actively prone to attacks and is open to intruders. You would have linked your Gmail account to different websites for login. That is the first step to make your Gmail account vulnerable to hackers. You will have the most private information saved in some of the emails, like credit card details and other bank information. This information can be easily phished out and your Gmail account will be exposed to the hackers.
We have some basic steps to help you find out if your Gmail account has been hacked or not. Also, we have some valuable tips to secure your hacked account.
METHOD 1: CHECK ACCOUNT SETTINGS
- Open the default web browser on your computer and enter the Gmail URL in the address bar.
- Type in your Gmail login credentials and click the Sign in button.
- Once you login to the Gmail page, move the cursor to the top right corner of the page and click your avatar.
- Following that, click the My Account button.
- Click Sign-in & Security button on the left side of the Account Information page.
- Locate and click the Device activity & Notifications option.
- You will now notice a list of devices that are signed in with your Gmail account.
- Click the Review Events button and you will see the list of devices that have signed in with your Gmail account.
- Click the Review Devices button.
- You will now notice a list of devices that have tried to gain access to your account.
- You will see the option, Notice anything suspicious? Click the Secure your account button next to it.
METHOD 2: CHANGE PASSWORD
This step is easy to try it out. Having a new password will sign out all the other devices logged into your account using the old password.
- Log in to your Gmail account by entering the login credentials.
- Once you gain access to your Gmail account, click the Account logo on the top right corner of the Gmail page.
- Click the My Account button.
- In the Account Information page, click Sign-in & Security button on the left side pane.
- Scroll down and select the option Password & Sign-in method.
- Click the password to change the password.
- Before you change your password, you will have to enter the existing password for verification.
- Now, you have to enter the new password in two different fields.
- Click the Change Password button.
- You will be signed out of Gmail.
- Enter the new password to log in to Gmail.
There are a couple of alternative methods.
- You can uninstall the harmful software from your computer.
- You must download trusted antivirus software and run a full scan on your computer.
- Install a more secure internet browser and do not use out-dated browsers. Check for updates on your browser on a weekly basis and keep it updated all the time.