Apple Mail Pop Settings
Post Office Protocol, popularly called POP3, is used to retrieve emails from a mail server. POP3 helps you to download emails to your local computer and delete it from the server.
Note: If you want to retain a copy of your emails on the server, then it is best to configure an IMAP email account.
Here we have given simple steps for setting up the Apple Mail POP settings.
- Open Apple Mail from the Dock or use Spotlight to search for Mail.
- At the top of the screen, you’ll see the menu bar. From the menu bar, select Mail.
- From Mail, select Add account.
- A pop-up window will open asking you to choose a Mail account provider.
- From the mail account provider, click the radio button next to Other Mail Account. Then select Continue.
- In the next window, which is Add a Mail account, enter your Name, Email Address, and POP3 account password.
- Enter all the required information, then click Sign In to enter.
- Apple Mail will try to retrieve your email server details automatically.
If your server details are not received automatically, then try to enter them manually.
Get your POP3 account details and enter them as follows:
- Email Address: Your full email address.
- User Name: Your email account user name.
- Password: Your email account password.
- Account Type: Select POP.
- Incoming Mail Server: Enter the POP server hostname.
- Outgoing Mail Server: Enter the SMTP server hostname.
- After entering the details, click Sign In.
- Apple Mail will be able to use your POP3 email account.
You need to configure Advanced settings:
If you are prompted to confirm the port configuration, then enter the following details:
- For Incoming Port: 995
- For Outgoing Port: 465
To view your port settings in Apple Mail:
- Navigate to the Menu bar and select Mail. Next, choose Preferences.
- Click your account from the sidebar, then click the Server Settings tab.
- Uncheck the Automatically manage connection settings option for both the Incoming Mail Server (POP) and Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) sections to change the preconfigured port settings.
You can now edit the port configuration.